BARL tips to keep your pets safe in this swelterin’ weather
It’s hot outside. Damn hot. High temperatures are breaking into the mid-90s and the humidity is around 70 percent for at least the next 10 days… probably even worse after that.
The Brookhaven Animal Rescue League wishes to remind everyone to keep their pets cool and safe during the heat wave by following these procedures from the American Veterinary Medical Association:
- Never, ever, EVER leave your dog in the car.
- Make sure your pet has plenty of fresh water.
- Make sure your pet has access to shade when staying outdoors.
- Walk the dog during the cooler hours of the day.
- When walking the dog, keep off hot surfaces like concrete or asphalt.
- Keep your animals parasite free: take them to the vet to get rid of worms, fleas, etc.
- Always remember: if YOU think it’s hot outside, your animals think it’s WAY HOTTER. They are covered in fur. You are not. Unless you’re this guy. While you’re at it, you may want to get your dog’s coat trimmed.
BARL wants to add to this list by reminding you a doghouse is NOT a good form of shade. It gots hot as blue blazes in dog houses. Get yourself a cheap kiddie pool and keep it filled with water. Your dog will thank you.